Friday, December 11, 2009

happy hanukkah

happy hanukkah

To Hanukkah. It is a very pleasant vacation, holiday jet as Jews, one of the few where the Jews the true winner, in addition to having the temple destroyed, fleeing or divided the sea, and are spared from the evil Haman. Usually you just have to survive. Often, even did it.

Jewish holidays, as I learned growing up, much of what can not get to eat - anytime (Yom Kippur), or anything fermented (Passover) - and you do not like to do about long and endless preaching and not embarrassing your mother that saw in the mall.

Hanukkah, on the contrary, it is not about death and dying. Start with that. You can go to the mall. Get gifts. This is not a sin. You can eat and drink. Even better, the official food of Hanukkah is oil, which means that eating fried food is a form of celebration. Jelly donuts and potato pancakes are the two official food of Hanukkah. What you may not want this holiday?

But it is not Christmas. Hanukkah is what the rabbis call Sam minor holiday, even though it is known as the second coming of a lot of people I know. That is my problem. Why do we think that we need to open a small vacation with an alternative to Christmas?

Believe me, that many blame for some other person. For years, I patted me on the back, they will not have a tree or wreath or socks or anything that would suggest other religions celebrate the birth of the Savior. Christmas, I taught my children and my parents taught me not "our" vacation. It is a religious holiday. We are Christians, so we celebrated Christmas. How easy it sounds.

A few years ago when I had radio show, with a rabbi whom I spoke about at this time of year, and his message is very clear: If you want your grandchildren to celebrate Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year, Then you can not have a Christmas tree for their children. It only takes a generation to lose religious identity. Children who grew up celebrating Christmas to raise children who have nothing else to celebrate. He is undoubted.

I can not help but laugh. As a child I hated Christmas. I am so completely and totally jealous of her Christian friends who know this wonderful holiday and exchange great gifts that I have depression every Christmas. I was even jealous of my Jewish friends had trees and dreidels, Hanukkah and Santa. In my house, as well as the rabbis say, we had a "little" vacation.

But it worked for me. Me, at least the rabbi was right. I have a tree in my house. My kids never ask. We have dinner at home of our friends, but we have no "Christmas. How can we, when I spent so many years overdoing Hanukkah?

Like many parents, I bent over backwards every year tries to ensure that my children will not feel shortchanged in this time of year, because they were Jews. How absurd, because if you do not get gifts, the biggest disadvantage of the tribe. I think it funny, but a few. , While I congratulate myself for that tree, I did almost everything else.

Sorry, kids, but I think that eventually one of thinking. I want my Christian friends a very merry Christmas. And my Jewish readers, hey, some happy Hanukkah. It's a little holiday, but it's pretty good.
 
Shop on Page